Thursday 26 July 2012

Ride 'em Cowgirl

So this is what I've really come to Australia for...mustering cattle!


Here is my 'no name' steed (with Greig who owns the cattle station - don't call it a 'ranch' round here).


KJCC shirt gets an outing ... but not on a bike. In my element...chose to wear my new 'endurance' helmet (as worn by the Aussie mounted police) rather than my usual Aussie, kanga-hide, cowgirl hat because this one is guaranteed to stay on. Could have done with long sleeves as the trees/thorny undergrowth was very dense at times. My horse got pretty anxious when it couldn't see or hear the other riders which was 'fun'...Greig said he'd only ridden this horse once, that they knew nothing about it and it hadn't been ridden for 8 weeks so it did pretty well really.

The boys got to see some kangas and they watched as we brought the cattle into a coral for branding. They weren't too impressed by one of the cowboys as he was quick to whip the cattle with his stock whip when riding behind them...my horse caught the end of his whip on its nose at one point which startled it some more!


Oscar rode one of the horses back to the paddock. All of the horses were fed day-old bread that they'd got free from a bakery. It turned into a 'bun fight' when we lobbed bread rolls at each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment