Monday 19 July 2010

Rainforest!






The best thing about my conference trip to Gold coast was that I managed to hitch a ride inland to the Lamington National Park, a world heritage site of rainforest that stretches along the border of Queensland and New South Wales. There were miles of trails you could walk on, very well signposted, and I stayed at the Binna Burra mountain lodge, at about 800m altitude, which was a fantastic place - a bit like youth hostels of old with an ethic of mingling and helping out, and great food!

So whilst taking in the magnificent trees and waterfalls, I got down to some fun trail running. I ran about 100km over the 4 days I spent at the lodge, with the highlight being a 50km run along the 'border track' from Binna Burra to O'Reilly's Lodge, and back again, which took me about 6 hours. I took a route that passed along the Coomeera gorge, running through creeks and past stunning waterfalls with steep drops on one side of the narrow track. It was absolutely brilliant!

I left the lodge to fly back to Melbourne from Brisbane airport, and managed to visit my Dad's sister Stella, who's been living there for the past 10 years. We don't get a chance to meet often, so it was great to catch up with life for her in Australia ....







No comments:

Post a Comment